Tonight is the night for ze Bicol Express.
Bicol Express is a Filipino stew made with coconut milk and chilies, lots of chilies. It’s not difficult to make and most of the ingredients are easy to find, some could be available in your cupboard already. 😀
Bicol Express was named after the passenger train service from Manila to the Bicol region, a region in the Philippines famous for its spicy cuisine. (c) wikipedia
2 lbs pork, cut into strips
3 cups coconut milk
2 tbsp shrimp paste
1 medium onion, minced
3 cloves garlic, minced
2 tsp powdered ginger
5 pieces green chili, cut
1 tbsp red pepper flakes (optional)
2 tbsp cooking oil
salt and pepper to taste
1. Heat the cooking oil in a pan.
2. Saute the garlic, onion and garlic powder.
3. Add the pork. Cook until browned.
4. Put the shrimp paste. Stir.
5. Pour the coconut milk. Bring to a boil and simmer for 40 minutes or until pork is tender.
6. Add the green chili. Stir.
7. Add salt and ground pepper to taste.
8. Sprinkle with red pepper flakes.
9. Serve hot.
***You can add more pepper flakes if you want it to be super spicy.